About Me

Monday, January 10, 2011

My 2010 "bucket list"

Every May, as soon as school was out, my mother would always sit down with me and ask me what I wanted to "accomplish" this summer. For the longest time, I never really understood what she was asking. I though, summer: a time to not be in school, to play all day, to do whatever I wanted. ( mind you, that never happened, but for some reason whenever I pictured summer that always came to mind.)

As I have grown older, I have begun to realize more of what she was talking about. You have two options to do with your life: you can either waste it doing frivolous "fun" things or you can accomplish things that you have always wanted to do, and really make something of your life. Since January 1st, I have been coming up with a list of things that I would like to see myself do this year.

1. For the past two year (since I moved down "south" and became a country girl) I have wanted to be able to play the guitar. I have access to three at the ranch I live on, and a good friend who is willing to teach me!

2. I really would like to become a better cook. In my opinion, anyone can follow a basic recipe, but I would like to learn how to make more difficult dishes. I would like to find a place that offers cooking classes and take a few.

3. While we are on the food subject, I am going to make myself try sushi... I have always had an irrational fear of it. I think the whole raw fish aspect really grosses me out. But I am determined to try it and see what all the hype is about.

4. A few years ago, three friends and I took a road trip down to Georgia. We had such a super fun time, and I would love to go on another road trip again this summer... with different friends. A few other single friends and I have joked for years about taking a road trip across America visiting all the Baptist churches until we find husbands for ourselves. I don't think I'm quite that desperate though...

5. Since I have been dieting and exercising since this summer, I have a goal to do a marathon, or at least a half-marathon this year. That would put me in such great shape! Even if I do not have an opportunity to do that, I will be joining a gym shortly, and getting back to my exercise regiment after Christmas.

6. Well, this one definitely proves that I am turning into a country girl. I want soooo badly to go to a shooting range (with someone who knows what they're doing) and learn to shoot really well. I have always had good aim, and think that I would do quite well.

7. Haha, number seven has to do directly with you. I have resolved to write on my blog more regularly than the once a year that it has been. I do not live an interesting life, but will try to make the one I do live as interesting as I am able.

8. Another thing that I have always wanted to do is to ride a jet ski. A friend promised me that when I go up to see her this summer, we will go up to the lake and rent them. I can't wait!!!

9. A few years ago my aunt taught me how to make jewelry. Since then I have experimented with new things in that area, and have taught a few friends to bead as well. One of those friends (Nicole) who really got into this enjoyable hobby just showed me something new. It is how to make glass tile pendants. I will post a few pictures at a later date. I also bought some rings to make as well.

10. All through Jr. High and High school, our youth group took many ski trips both to Michigan and Wisconsin. My friends and I started out on our behinds on the bunny hill, but eventually got pretty good (for us) and I even ventured down the biggest hill (one time). I would love to begin skiing again, and lovely Missouri has plenty of hills, just need to find a ski resort now!

11. And the last goal that I have for this year (that I have thought of so far, and that I want to share) is this: in 2011, I want to make a new life-long friend. I have offhandedly started talking to several people over the past few years, and that random chat has turned into more and more conversations, and some of them have become among the people that mean the most to me.

So, this is my list of things that I aspire to accomplish this year. I hope to be able to check each one off of my list.

2 comments:

  1. You are brave to try sushi...when I was at Jessica's home, her Pastor & wife took us out to eat. We went to Olive Garden and for an appetizer, he picked Calamari. I don't like trying new things, but somehow he cajoled me into trying it...it was SQUID! Gross. I think that is the end of me trying all things sea-food!

    Great list of things to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoVE tHiS! :) Welcome back to the bloggy world; I thoroughly enjoyed it. :) Your list reminded me of some of the things I always wanted to do as well...especially the guitar one. Can just see you with the kiddies gathered around, playing the guitar and doing a sing-along! :)

    ReplyDelete