About Me

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A tiny amount of humor and the true American heroes






My post today has two purposes. I cannot help but sharing a "Kindergarten Crack-up" from Friday that I was not able to blog about. I only have four little boys in my class of sixteen: Luke, Sylvester, Caleb and Wilbur. Normally my little girls "run the show" so to speak, but today Caleb took center stage. Friday is pizza day, so their lunch consists of a slice or two of pizza, chocolate milk, goldfish crackers and Scooby snacks. My little guy must have really enjoyed his meal because during Math class (our first period after lunch), he let out an enormous belch. It rather reminded me of the one from the movie Elf. I was completely surprised that such a sound could come from that little of a person, but recovered quickly. I looked at him and asked, "Caleb, is there something you would like to say to the class?'" He looked up at me completely innocently, cheesed a huge grin (as only Caleb can do) and said "hello". I completely lost it, and has to sit down I was laughing so hard. Of course, all the other students saw their teacher laughing and has to laugh as well, so the K-5 class was a bit chaotic for a few minutes. Thought all of you would enjoy that little bit of humor.








The second half of today's post I would like to dedicate to the brave men and women who serve our country so fearlessly. Living here so close to Fort Leonard Wood, I see first hand the sacrifices these soldiers and their families make every day. They sacrifice the little things that we tend to take for granted: spending time with their families, being there for birthdays and anniversaries, spending time with their children, seeing their child's first steps, coaching little league teams, the stability of having a permanent place of residence, the list goes on and on.




Tonight I will be accompanying my roommate Maureena's family at a special ceremony on Post, to say goodbye to her father who will be deploying to Afghanistan with his unit for a year. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to say goodbye to my own father, knowing not only that I would not see him for a year, but also that he is in a dangerous place. Mr. Duran is a chaplain, so will have even more responsibilities there. I am sure that there will be a lot of soldiers with spiritual and emotional problems as a result of being there and the experiences they will have. How very very thankful it makes me for the brave Americans who risk life and limb to keep our country free and safe. May we never forget their great sacrifice and remember to pray for them every day.








1 comment:

  1. He is such a cutie! And, I too could not imagine if my father were being deployed for a year...it truly makes one grateful for our country and the sacrifices our military makes.

    ReplyDelete