About Me

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Random Ramblings

First of all, let me say that my plethora of posts is me trying to be a better blogger (and the fact that I have deactivated my Facebook account for the time being, for a variety of reasons). So, be thankful for it! =)

I'm not sure why, but today I'm feeling completely random. I love it!

I am super duper proud of myself! Today I finished my first "homemade" bulletin board that I've made since I was in college! I know that's so incredibly lazy of me, but hear me out =) As all of my teacher friends will attest, pre-made bulletin board sets are simply adorable! Why spend hours and hours of time that we don't have (okay, that we do have, but would rather be watching our favorite tv show) making, when for about $10 we can buy an adorable one that we will have forever and ever! However, I had the idea for a "crow" themed board. Can you believe... NO one makes crows? (or at least not cute ones...) I drew some yesterday during nap time- doodling on the edge of a piece of paper. Ah-dorable!!! So I sketched out a few- larger, outlined them with a sharpie, colored them in with crayons (yes, crayons. I'm a kindergarten teacher, and that's all I had...) And, drumroll please... the turned out to be exactly what I wanted! I literally spent NO money on this bulletin board!!! I used pumpkin patch boarder I had from my first year teaching, leaves I had bought from Dollar Tree, and cut out letters on my cricut. I used a tiny Sharpie to make "stitches" on the edges of my letters, and it was the perfect touch. However, once I got them up on the board, you really can't tell. Oh well, isn't there a saying about it being the thought that counts? :) It's such a super cute bulletin board, and I got it up before October, peeps! Be impressed!!!!

Isn't he just the CUTEST????


Ta-da!


Here are the letters I was telling you about. It took FOREVER! And I did the same thing on the leaves as well. Took this pic so the detail wouldn't be totally lost on 'yall.

Another random thing... I'm getting mail today!!! I'm soooo excited! THREE packages are sitting waiting for me at the Post Office! Yippee skippy!!!! One is a Cricut cartridge I ordered off Ebay. It's basically for my vinyl "art", and I am so excited to start playing with it. I'm sure you all will be seeing pictures of my creations in the not very distant future. Another package is from my Mommy and Daddy! They send me random little stuff every once in a while. My mother is always buying me stickers and little things for the kiddos. She is on a major kick about making Christmas cards for the soldiers. Michaels craft store is doing a promotion about it.. asking people to bring in cards by the end of next month. I can't remember the specifics, but she said something about 10,000 soldiers will not receive a single Christmas card this year. How SAD, especially when these brave men and women are faithfully serving to help keep our country free. She has me very excited about it, and as soon as we get the package and Christmas stickers she sent, I will have all of my kiddos begin making cards. It's a great project, especially for here because I think almost every one of my students has at least one parent in the military. My last package is from a dear friend, and I can't wait to open it!!!

5 comments:

  1. love the randomness; and adore your bulletin board!! :) miss ya, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction- It's 85,000 soldiers who according to a study do not receive anything for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I want to do the soldier thing too with my kids! Tell me more about that please!! I was just watching an ad on tv the other night about doing things for soldiers and I was thinking, I want to do something with my kids this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just have your students make them and turn them in to a Michael's store by the end of the month. :)

    ReplyDelete